Friday, December 14, 2012

Who's Breathing Down Your Neck?

"I arrived home recently to find my wife watching a vaccuum-cleaner salesman closely as he pushed his cleaner across the living-room rug. The salesman was near collapse. From the looks of the place he had been demonstrating for hours. Sales literature and cleaning parts were scattered everywhere. At last, after another fifteen minutes' cross-examination, my wife said, "Thanks for coming out, Mr. Jameson. I will let you know what I decide." the salesman found the front door wide open and his hat and coat in his hands. After his departure I was told, "That's just the beginning. The Hoover people are coming tomorrow morning, the Lewyt people in the afternoon and the Electrolux salesman Wednesday. We're going to get the best, believe me!" My wife, in her foxy feminine way, was proving that Professor Sumner Slichter of Harvard spoke truly when he called America "the most competitive country in the world."

Good Reading Rack Service, 1958


No comments:

Post a Comment