Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Secret Of Dealing With People

"The late John Wanamaker once confessed: "I learned thirty years ago that it is foolish to scold. I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God has not seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence." Wanamaker learned this lesson early; but I personally had to blunder through this old world for a third of the century before it even began to dawn upon me that ninety-nine times out of a hundred no man criticizes himself for anything, no matter how wrong he may be. Criticsm of others is futile because it puts a man on the defensive, and usually makes him strive to justify himself. Criticism is dangerous, because it wounds a man's precious pride, hurts his sense of importance, and arouses his resentment."

Good Reading Rack Service, 1955


No comments:

Post a Comment