Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Day I Was Proudest To Be An American

"From the day of the United Nations' inception the voices of the famished, the diseased, and the despairing have been heard in its halls, calling for help. How have the nations of the world answered their please? Irene Dunne was deputized to give the United States' response at the U.N. Miss Dunne was a member of the U.S. delegation to the twelfth U.N. General Assembly. It was a new role for her. Usually she's seen on the screen. Her very first movie, Cimarron, won the Motion Picture Academy Award, and she quickly became a Hollywood luminary. What is it like to be a U.S. delegate to the United Nations? After my years in the movies I thought I was used to drama and excitement. But Hollywood has nothing that can approach the United Nations in these spheres. In the past I have greatly enjoyed making people laugh. Some of my favorite films have been comedies. At the United Nations, there is no time for comedy."

Good Reading Rack Service, 1959


No comments:

Post a Comment